26 January 2009

descubrir la metafísica


(photo stolen from Sadie...I have not taken pictures yet). This is Unitierra in San Cristóbal de las Casas. I will be here for one week, then spend the next 5 weeks in Oventic (also in Chiapas). We eat meals on hot pink painted tables and drink pineapple tea in the morning. I found out I'm going to be graded like a Hampshire student, meaning evaluations and not actual grades. Since school has made me crazy this is great news. I don't have much to say except it's freezing here at night and in the mornings and the women wear the most beautiful clothing with string woven in their braids.

My Spanish is so rusty it's embarrassing but it'll get better. There are lots of stray dogs here with huge feet and they are a bit too friendly. All I want to do is pet them. So far the worst part about Mexico is having to use bottled water for everything. "Maybe I'll gain weight but I'll just drink a cup of water before I go home...flush it all out" - Marlena. The best part of today was finding out why everyone is here and then taking a break for hot sweet braided bread fresh out the oven and sweet coffee.
 

PS:

news on our beloved Jesse Camp from miss atiya:

"oh joneses: it was almost as though you knew my love for him
oh joneses: hahah i didn't even care about him really, until i bumped into him at a bar
oh joneses: i heard him talking behind me, and i automatically knew it was him
oh joneses: he looks sooo crazy
oh joneses: also he's a giant "

2 comments:

  1. I missed you. What is the best way to communicate with you, now that you are in traveling in Mexico? Update this thing, send me pictures, something! Oh, the stray Latin American dogs you will meet!



    P.S I know about your make-out habits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete